Monday 3 March 2014

Flower cake for a 7 year old






My baby girl turned 7 in February. She counted the days eagerly, waiting waiting.

This is her birthday party, shared with friends at the local community centre. She didn't request any silly cake decorations, and let me plan exactly how I wanted it. She did ask for a coconut cake and a chocolate cake, which of course I happily obliged her - two cakes for my beautiful girl. 

I picked these zinnias from the school garden, and I cannot tell you how simply happy they make me feel looking at them now. And watching her little face as we carried the cake out - eyes squeezed shut so she couldn't see the decorations. And loving it totally. It really couldn't have been more simple, yet more striking and eye catching and happy-inducing. I think all the school friends felt happy just looking at it - they couldn't help but keep dipping their little fingers into it. 

Mishi and I made these washi tape hearts on peach tree twigs the morning of her party. I took her hand and we went walking to gather the little twigs and then sat and stuck washi tape onto cardboard hearts. What a simply fun, enjoyable and lovely moment it was. Being ready for the party in time, and have spare time to wander and gather and craft together. 

Oh 7 Seven 7. I simply cannot quite believe you are at this milestone yet. In Steiner philosophy, seven is a new cycle - skin shedding and moving into a new rhythm. I think somehow you're leaving baby-hood more and more behind, and growing up into a young woman already. Wonderful, yet sad and scary for this mama. 

Right now you are:
Loving circus class - back bends are your absolute favourite
Wearing funky colour / print clash clothing combinations
Reading stories to yourself every day - chapter books. You lie on your bed with your legs kicking about while you read and read.
Doing cute little styles in your hair. It's still short, but you can do two sweet little piggy tails on the side.
Constantly making and creating something or other.
Continuing drawing your Foxy stories. Wow - your drawings are getting so so amazing!
Climbing into bed in the morning and playing games with daddy, giggling and tickling. 

7 comments:

  1. That cake is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 am

    i love zinias! your cake is lovely!
    and happy milestone to you and your wonderful girl!
    (also - those hearts are so fun! i think we may need a boquet of them here - my girl would be happy to make some with me, i think - maybe just in time for my birthday!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:05 am

    Happy Birthday to your possum, Ellie! We just had a seven birthday over at ours too - it is wonderful but scary, I agree. Sounds like it was a gorgeous day. The cake looks scrumptious!! :-) Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!...such a pretty summery day!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very special time for you both!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...